Sunday, May 12, 2013

Vienna 12th May 2013

My Canadian friends have all left me! The four guys that work in Switzerland had to go back to work this week and the two Quebecois girls, Florence and Eve-Marie, who were so nice, have gone to enjoy the beaches of Croatia. And now everyone is telling me that I won't find English speakers in France... I could have used you to translate for me in Paris, Florence and Eve! But I guess I can't blame you for heading to the beach!

Otherwise, today was fantastic! I arranged with my cousin Andreas, who lives roughly two hours from here by car, to spend the day with him and his wife Manuela in Vienna. I had not seen them since I was young, and it was amazing to catch up.

We fit a great deal into one day. They picked me up at my hostel this morning and we went to a cafe for breakfast and discussed all the happenings in our extended family. Andreas is the son of my Oma's younger sister, but he knew Opa well, and it was great to talk together about our memories of him. I miss Opa more than I can explain... I know that my family understands this feeling, and Andreas too, even if he was not related by blood.

After breakfast we drove to Schloß Schönbrunn, the Summer Palace of the Hapsburg family. It is an incredibly large and ornate building situated on expansive grounds that also house a zoo, two (because one is for the poor...) botanical gardens, and a maze, among other impressive features.

After our tour there we headed for coffee and desert (Opa would approve) at a Viennese cafe. We continued our discussions on life, my project and the family.

Next we went to an amusement park called Prader, whose main attraction (the one that attracted us) is a large Ferris Wheel that allows a view of the entire city. It is a very old Ferris Wheel and I wonder if Opa ever rode it. I imagine that he must have. From the top I was excited to see the Kahlenburg, a mountain on the edge of Vienna not far from Brigittenau where Opa went to ski and hike.

After this we went to a pizza place off of Mariahilfer Straße for dinner and made our way back to my hostel where we said our goodbyes. I am very glad to have had the opportunity to meet them here: it is a very good feeling, after so long, to see family. I hope they can visit us in the United States soon.

It is hard to believe that tomorrow is already the last full day I have in Vienna. This trip is passing very quickly. I will go to the archive of the Viennese Jewish Community, primarily to discuss general Viennese Jewish history with the staff, but also to look a bit into some names Opa mentioned in his memoir. Two in particular interest me: Josh and Rudy Gruber, boys his age who left Vienna for the United States four months before Opa and his family left Vienna. If I could find them I would be very happy! After the archive I must buy food, attempt to cook for myself, and pack. Busy, busy!

Auf Wiedersehen!

2 comments:

  1. as this post came in Rebecca and I are with aunt Audrey and uncle Tom and Oma for mothers day. We read your post out loud and all enjoyed hearing of your day. Oma said that Opa did in fact ride on that very ferris wheel. Great to hear that you enjoyed your visit with Andreas and Manuela and had fun catching up with them.
    All of us are wishing we could be there w you to share in your journey...
    Oma said to tell you just how proud of you she is..
    As are we all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you go up in the ferris wheel? If you did, that is very brave, but the traveling alone for 3 weeks is quite brave too! I hope that your allergies have gotten better, you don't speak of them anymore, so I am hoping that is a good sign. Did you eat the entire pizza yourself? Text me later, and give me the answers! Your friends seem to be enjoying your blogs, sounds like the Canadian girls made an impression. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete