If Brussels gave a poor first impression, Ypres did the opposite.
It was a warm and relatively clear day and I have done everything related to Heinz that I need to in Brussels already so I took the chance to catch a train out of the city.
It is a two hour train trip due west to Ypres from Brussels. The trains are smaller and less luxurious on these intercity jaunts but I still got a great view of the countryside. I love spring, even with my allergies. The greens are darker than summer, everything is new. In Belgium rolling hills are broken apart by wooded fence posts and barbed wire holding cows and sheep in their idyllic pastures. It couldn't be more stereotypically rural European, and I doubt it could be more beautiful.
Ypres itself is an ancient city renowned as the site of numerous deadly battles fought during the first world war. It is a pretty and small city, so I got to enjoy most of it throughout the day.
A farmers' market was ending just as I arrived, so I ate a good and affordable lunch and then wandered the fort wall that surrounds the city. It offered an impressive view of the river flowing around the city and the surrounding countryside. It also was a beautiful hike, with a lot of Queen Anne's Lace (Opa's favorite flower) everywhere. It was eerie to think of the many that died here, and I don't know that anyone is certain as to why...
There were two cemeteries inside town and numerous outside. The poem In Flanders' Fields was written about Ypres. I visited both and lingered for some time. They were both very pretty and very sad. I hate war...
I vastly underestimated the amount of walking that a trip like this entails. I am exhausted at the end of every day. I slept for some of the train ride back and am spending tonight in the hostel relaxing. I skyped with Oma and Aunt Audrey tonight, that was very nice!
Tomorrow I think I may see the EU Parliament and the Atomium and then pack. I am not sure what time I will leave in the morning on Monday.
Until tomorrow!
Glad to hear you had an enjoyable day. The description of the countryside you gave, sounds just like what we are encountering back home in Vermont, it's a great time of year.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you had a chance to Skype w Oma, I'm sure she is ecstatic to hear from you, I know she has been keeping tabs on your travels through both me and aunt Audrey..
Looking forward to seeing your next post..
Love you Bud
Glad your spirits were raised! Just imagine, you walking a lot! Cant usually get you out of your dorm room! You should have worn a pedometer.
ReplyDelete