Saturday, May 25, 2013

Paris 25th May 2013

My last day in Paris was one of rather high ambitions: today I would get to the tourist sites I had been neglecting in favor of research.

The plan was only mildly successful, mostly because I made a rookie's travel mistake: never leave everything of one type for one day. If your one day gets rained out, you will miss seeing the Eiffel Tower.

Honestly, I was in Paris and never saw the Eiffel Tower except from afar. Worst tourist ever.

But I console myself in knowing I was here first as a researcher and my efforts on that front have been broadly successful.

I made my way late this morning (a beautiful morning, mind you) to the fountain of St. Michael near Notre Dame where a free three-hour walking tour began at 1:00. Generally I, being the seasoned veteran of nearly a month in Europe now, scoff at such blatantly tourist-y attractions as this tour, but I don't regret starting this walk: the guide was young, funny, knowledgeable and friendly. I learned some very neat curiosities of Parisian and French history.

Unfortunately the weather did not hold. By the time we reached the Louvre a torrential downpour soaked me. I was cold. I told Europe that it had won this day, left the tour, and headed back to my hostel. I have spent today trying to be as productive as I can be here.

Tomorrow my train for Toulouse leaves at 09:42, so I will have to get up fairly early to take the subway to the Gare d'Austerlitz. Tonight I will pack and sleep early!

Another travel day tomorrow! I will update you all from Toulouse where I hope it is a bit more dry (though at least it isn't snowing like it is today in Vermont).

Au revoir, Paris!

2 comments:

  1. Darn, well get some good rest so that you can travel healthy! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. To bad weather didn't cooperate for ya today, but your time in Paris surely was more productive then the average tourist would come away with...
    Safe travels, looking forward to your next findings in Toulouse...

    ReplyDelete