I fell asleep very early last night and woke up at 07:00 this morning. I have suffered from particularly bad allergies today: so bad, in fact, that my Chinese roommate (who speaks almost no English) was so concerned he asked me if I was OK as I cooked dinner, apparently looking like I was crying over the poor sausages I was cutting.
Despite my allergies I took a two hour train ride to Pau, a city in the Pyrenees Opa visited for some time in 1942 before making his way to Switzerland. I had heard the Pyrenees are beautiful, so I took a south-facing window seat.
"Beautiful" is an understatement. The Pyrenees drive up into the sky seemingly out of nowhere. On the northern side of the train there are rolling plains for miles; on the southern, the snow-capped white peaks of the range intermingle with the clouds.
Pau itself is located in the foothills of these mountains. It sits atop a north-facing ridge that makes for a steep climb (there is a ski-lift-like tram offered to those who cannot make it up walking) and an amazing view. I would say it is the most beautiful place I have ever seen if my trained had not passed through Loundes just before...
Loundes is nestled between three tall green spires in a valley carved by a swiftly-flowing blue-green river. I did not stop, but even from the train it left an impression. The ruins of a castle sat atop a hill on the bank of the river flying the tri-colored flag of France. Not far down river the spire of a cathedral climbed upward triumphantly. The place is gorgeous.
My frustration at my allergies keeps this entry short. Tomorrow, depending on my allergies, I plan to explore Toulouse some. I also need to do laundry, I am down to one clean sock (not sure how that happened).
Until tomorrow!
Hope you feel better and get your laundry done.! Was fun reading your description of the mountains as was actually hiking some today and also saw snow...
ReplyDelete