In the 1930s and 1940s, my adolescent grandfather survived the Holocaust. In the summer of 2013, I will travel to Europe and follow his trail. This blog will document my journey.
Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Family Support
After I overcame the obstacles outlined in my first post and solidified the details of my trip, I faced the greatest potential obstacle to Heinz as of yet: would my family, most of whom knew nothing of what I intended, support me in telling this intensely personal story? I would not blame them if they had not. Opa's struggle with Alzheimer's Disease toward the end of his life was difficult for all of us, and most of us knew very little of Opa's story beyond the written memoirs he had left. I, naturally, had no greater claim to the story than did my father, or his sisters, or my Oma. Had any of them expressed concern with me taking the private story of Opa's trials during the Holocaust and making it public, I certainly would have cancelled the project immediately.
Fortunately, my family on both my father and mothers' sides was nothing but supportive. Visiting home during Winter Break, I was overwhelmed by the encouragement they offered and the excitement they displayed when we discussed my dream for Heinz. Each of my family members, like myself, felt great pride in Opa and the adversity he overcame during his youth, and agreed when I suggested that his story could be of great value to others, as well. Each of them asked questions of me and offered, in their own ways, whatever help they could. In some cases this took the form of travel advice, in others the form of an anecdote about Opa and the stories he told on fishing trips or long drives years ago. It has become incredibly clear to me that this project will have great meaning not only to me, but to my family and friends as well.
Another concern was more internal: would Opa have wanted his story told? He was absolutely silent on the subject during his life after the event. Though I grew up next door and was incredibly close with him during my childhood, I knew nothing of this story until I was sixteen or seventeen, and then only through his written memoirs. I have been (and will continue to be) cautious so as not to overstep the boundaries of Opa's privacy. I was reassured in particular by Oma's enthusiasm. She, a loving wife for many years and even after his death, spoke most firmly as his advocate. She has offered me great encouragement as I begin my work, and for that I am deeply thankful. I am confident, now, thanks to my extended family, that this project will take a form that makes all of them proud, and that Opa would have approved of.
There is, of course, a heavy sense of responsibility that has come with this confidence. As the project has become more and more real, it has become more necessary that my finished project does justice to the story I have endeavored to tell. I deeply hope that I can meet the expectations I have set for myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have no doubt that you will meet your expectations, and make us all proud Michael. As you always do...
ReplyDeleteMike, I knew, even when you were in grade school(and you did not believe it), that someday you would write great stories! Just think of the legacy that you are leaving for your future family, your sister's, and your cousin's families. I can't wait to see it all in writing. Love you, Mom xo
ReplyDelete